From Music-China Wiki
All kind of China music-related content is welcome at this wiki as long as it meets any of the following criteria:
- It comes from China or is focussed about China (e.g. Chinese-born artists overseas, or foreign bands playing in China)
- It is about music (e.g. instruments, records, books), NOT paintings or sculptures
- There is a reference to it (e.g. a DVD, an article, another website, a douban page, an email by the band...)
As this wiki is about Chinese music, a lot of information in the web will be already available in either Chinese or Japanese, however it is the aim of this wiki to make sure that all content is available in English. English will be most accessible throughout the world!
A main category of this wiki is the artist category. However there are a lot of bands and artists not yet covered in this database and below are a number of external links on where to find source information (e.g. in Chinese or Japanese) that should be translated and included in this wiki.
Add a New Artist:
- Douban also has an inexhaustible archive of all kinds of music (artists and records)
- Metal Archives has an extensive, yet relatively database-style list of metal bands (incl. Hongkong)
- Rocklive.cn has review-written reports on a lot of bands in alphabetical order.
- Indiechina.com lists a lot of indie rock bands from mainland China.
- More bands at sohu.com
- Qingdao band
- World Music Central list for China
- Category:Yaogun to be implemented
- Beijing Gig Guide Information
- Category:Yaogun Stub, a list of all stubs imported from yaogun.com
- Dew11, Chinese indie label with dozends of new bands
- Adding bands from the Midi Music Festival page
- there are a lot of bands now listed on the Chinese Rock page at Wikipedia
Please see also List of Orchestras and Bands to be added
Add a New Record:
- Scream Records Catalogue - http://www.screamchina.com/index.php/cd.html
- MicroMu Release Catalogue - http://www.buchadian.com/blog/category/release
Music Industry information
Add a New Venue:
If you know of any venue in China that is hosting live shows or musical performances, please enter in into our system.
Add a New Record Label:
Is there a particular record label that is releasing Chinese music? Please include it in our system.
Chinese Operas, its roles and characters
Add a New Opera:
Add a New Opera Style:
Add a New Opera Role:
Add a New Opera Character:
You can find extensive information about Chinese operas on the following websites:
Chinese Folk Genres and Traditional Songs
You can find information about China-specific musical folk genres on the following websites:
- China Culture
- German Wikipedia
- CNKI (english), the national papers and articles database of China that includes a lot of studies and articles on Chinese folk music genres
Translating Chinese to English
Category:Draft, articles in need of scientific citing.
Music-China Wiki:ToDo/BrokenLinks - Links which need to be fixed
Andreas Steen Collection
Enter information on the Andreas Steen Collection and get all the record information from the university of Heidelberg website.
Adding of offline interview infos
A lot of Chinese magazines, such as So Rock or Painkiller have offline, i.e. print interviews with bands. If we can add phrases from there plus reference, that would be good. --Azchael 00:59, 4 September 2009 (UTC)
Creative Commons Sources
Public Domain Sources
|Name||Link||Comment regarding copyright|
|ChinaCulture.org||http://www1.chinaculture.org/library/|| Website is declared as "Constructed by Chinadaily.com.cn" with "Copyright © 2003 Ministry of Culture, P.R.China. All rights reserved". However as per China Copyright Law, Article 5:
This Law shall not be applicable to:
As such it is understood that the Ministry of Culture is a State Organ and its website is part of the "other documents" of "administrative nature" including its "official translations" and hence no copyright applies and all content can be re-used and shared.
|Cultural China||http://www.cultural-china.com||Website is declared as "non-profit cultural website initiated by Shanghai News and Press Bureau". The Shanghai News and Press Bureau is part of the Shanghai Government as indicated here: http://www.chinadetail.com/Nation/CityGovernmentShanghai.php
As such the following applies: China Copyright Law, Article 5:
This Law shall not be applicable to:
As such it is understood that the Shanghai News and Press Bureau is a State Organ and its website is part of the "other documents" of "administrative nature" including its "official translations" and hence no copyright applies and all content can be re-used and shared.
In general, please follow the guidelines of Wikipedia.
in the following a few ideas on a content-wise expansion of Rock in China:
Chinese music in general - OK
Not only underground music from 1980-present, but also traditional and folk music. Preferably with a connection to e.g. bands such as HangGai, that include traditional music in their songs.
- Musical periods of time
- inclusion of numerous wikipedia articles
- useful for Category:Research?
--Azchael 13:58, 14 December 2008 (UTC)
How about Contemporary Art? : STOP
I wonder whether we should add 798 contemporary artists to our wiki or not?
a lot of Chinese art gallerys have extensive info in English on Chinese contemporary artists, so it is quite easy to import.
For the distinguisment between bands and art artists I've created the category Artists (Art).
from these pages:
- Decision taken with Yang and Matsch to not proceed for contemporary art in the future, but rather focus on the underground music scene. --Azchael 07:21, 29 November 2009 (UTC)
Foreign bands in China - OK
for the record we should also add the followings:
- Nine Inch Nails
- Steve Vai
- Mr. Big
Tattoo / Chinese Culture - OK
I had been looking for a definition of Yaksa in regard of tattoos around the web, but haven't found a satisfying answer, neither in English nor German (via Google).
Any ideas what a Yaksa stands for, its background story and myths/legends?
For the future:
- Adding Chinese traditional tattoo information, such as Yaksa or Buddhism
- Adding a category for old stories, myths and legends.
Azchael 05:05, 22 April 2008 (UTC)