Modern Sky Records
From Music-China Wiki
Modern Sky Records is a branch of Modern Sky Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Founded in December 1997, Modern Sky Entertainment Co., Ltd is the largest music Indie-label in China. Since its foundation, Modern Sky has been being dedicated to "promoting the integrated international music", not only by promoting domestic new music to the world, but also by introducing excellent foreign music to China, so as to create a better environment for the development of Chinese new music.
With a set of brand new concepts, Modern Sky is becoming a comprehensive entertainment corporation in China, whose branch labels are covering music, magazine, graphic design and video productions. It's keen sense and fresh mode of operation have set up a new business system for Chinese record industry, which specially accommodates with the situation of nowaday's China, and correctly grasps the future direction of Chinese new music. Modern Sky has consequently become one of the most influential corporation on Chinese modern music and youth culture.
taken from their homepage
On January 7th, 2011, during their anniversary celebration for the 13th year of Modern Sky, Shen Lihui announced that they are going to deeply integrate with Beijing based label/ promoter/ artist management company Robust Husband (荔芙娱乐) and hence all of Rubust's bands are to be considered Modern Sky bands, including Omnipotent Youth Hotel, Brain Failure, Steely Heart, Candy Monster, White Eyes and Go Chic.
Branches of Modern Sky Entertainment Co., Ltd
- Badhead - Specialized in exploring alternative and experimental music, and advocating the independent and DIY spirit, Badhead is regarded as the most significant revolution of Chinese underground music since its establishment in 1998. Today, all of its signed bands/artists have become the most well-known underground stars in China.
- M2 - M2 was established in November 2001 as an artists agency. It devotes to the management of artists' performing and career development and work with an global concept.
- Guava - Guava was established on Dec. 27th, 2002. As the Electronic lable of Modern Sky, it is also the first record lable in China focusing on this kind of music. With its serials productions on different styles of Chill Out,Techno,Trance,House and Lounge, Guava has not only made up the vacancy of electronic music label in China, but also promoted domestic club culture and the development of local Electronic music. Guava is expecting to cooperate with other top Electronic/Dance labels outside China in the future.
- World Music - Formed in Jan 2006, through gathering all kinds of local ethical music elements around China's nationalities, Modern Sky World Music has been establishing a brand new Chinese original local music library and aiming at impacting the global music market. Meanwhile, Modern Sky World Music will insist on going further in refining original local music by combining it's own world music elements with global music resources, and dedicating to excellent world music producing.
- Sky Image
- Ultra Girl
- Money Design Studio
- Modern Sky Books
The Modern Sky Festivals
for details see Modern Sky Festival.
Beijing Strawberry Music Festival 2011, April 30th - May 2nd, 2011
Suzhou Strawberry Music Festival 2011, April 30th - May 2nd, 2011
Greatwall Tanglewood Forest Festival 2010, 8.27-8.29 2010
Modern Sky Festival 2009 - October 2009
Strawberry Music Festival 2009 - May 2009
Modern Sky Festival 2008 - October 2008
Modern Sky Festival 2007 - October 2007
Sing For China Tour 2009 - 2009, Sep, USA
Articles & Interviews
- Josh Feola (2013), Culture Bureau: Shen Lihui, published on 25 April 2013
- Modern Sky Empire, Beijing Scene, Volume 6, Issue 8, December 3 - 9
- Shen Lihui and His Modern Sky, Crienglish.com, October 2008
Other pages at RiC
|Modern Sky Festival - 2007 up to today|
|Main Articles:||Modern Sky Records | Modern Sky Festival|
|Modern Sky Festivals:||2009 | 2008 | 2007|
|Strawberry Festivals:||2011 (BJ) | 2011 (SZ) | 2010 | 2009|